AmEx credit cards
American express or AmEx is a credit card issuing bank and financial company with its own global payment network.
AmEx became famous in 1950-60s with its charge cards, targeting affluent customers. Since then, a strong competition from almost all major banks in the upper end pushed AmEx from catering high net worth individuals to a more ‘retail spending’ category.
Today the company extended its product lines with EveryDay revolving credit cards. Now AmEx offers typical credit cards with great rewards, no annual fee options and ability to carry a balance on a card.
$95 annual fee
up to 3-6% cash back
$150 intro bonus
the card was discontinued on March 2016
no annual fee with paid Costco membership
up to 3% back
- earn 5x points on reservations directly at Starwood Preferred Guest program hotels:
- you get 3 points as a program member
- you get 2 points as a cardmember
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases
- 25,000 points if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months of the card
- extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months
$95 annual fee, waived for the first year
best hotel rewards program
- get 2x points at US supermarkets with a $6,000 limit in purchases annually (then 1x)
- earn 20% bonus on your points if you use a card at least 20 times a month
- get 3x points at US supermarkets with a $6,000 limit in purchases annually (then 1x)
- 2x points at US gas stations
no annual fee for the basic card
$95 annual fee for Preferred card
up to 2.2-4.5x points on every dollar
10,000-15,000 intro bonus
free Amazon Prime membership
Some important benefits, included in AmEx cards package are:
- Car Rental Insurance. It offers Collision Damage Waiver for rental cars with MSRP below $50,000 for 30 days or less.
- Lost or stolen baggage. It covers up to $500 per trip for all persons combined. It works only if you pay for your tickets with American Express card.
- Global Assist Program or 24/7 Premium Assist Hotline Program for Platinum card holders.
- AmEx still has a good recognition. You will not necessarily impress people with AmEx card, but some still look at AmEx as an upper end brand.
- The company has good standards for customer service.
- Usually high credit limits.
- American Express is accepted at fewer places than VISA or MasterCard. The company is improving the situation, but small merchant locations tend not to accept AmEx cards. Overseas acceptance is worse than for VISA or MasterCard as well.
CREDIT SCORE UPDATES
exclusive members-only deals